Referral Information for Physicians
The information that follows is for physicians considering patient referrals to Methodist Rehabilitation Center.
Methodist is accredited by the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Facilities (JCAHO) and the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF).
Medical directors at Methodist are board certified in physical medicine and rehabilitation. With more than 200 active and consulting physicians and surgeons, our medical staff represents 28 medical specialties:
- Family Medicine
- General Surgery
- Infectious Diseases
- Internal Medicine
- Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Plastic Surgery
For a comprehensive list of active and consulting physicians and surgeons, call 601-981-2611or 800-223-6672.
- The patient requires intensive therapy in two or more disciplines.
- The patient is able to follow verbal or visual commands consistently (exception: coma stimulation program or family education program).
- The patient has sufficient mental alertness, motivation and stamina to participate in the rehabilitation program (exception: brain injury).
- The patient has a condition that can be improved by rehabilitation.
- The patient is able to demonstrate significant functional or practical improvement in a reasonable amount of time.
- The patient has a sitting tolerance of three or more hours. This can be in broken intervals of 15 to 30 minutes. This requirement does not apply to quadriplegics.
The following information will be sent to Methodist Rehab at the time of transfer:
- History and physical
- Recent medical and therapy progress notes
- Recent lab work including culture reports
- Recent x-rays including CT and MRI scans
- All admitting orders
- Recent record of medications
- Surgery reports
- Discharge summary (if available)
Other information or a preadmission assessment may be faxed to a community outreach representative at 601-364-3452.
To make an inpatient referral
You may refer a patient to Methodist Rehabilitation in one of two ways:
- Facility transfer: a transfer from another facility to Methodist Rehabilitation Center. Call the inpatient admissions representative with your referral and a community outreach representative will contact you to perform a prescreening evaluation to determine the patient’s rehabilitation potential. The admissions representative will need to know:
-- Your name
-- Patient’s name, address and phone number and current location
-- Primary medical diagnosis
-- Medical/rehabilitation insurance coverage
- Outpatient clinic evaluation: call the outpatient admissions representative to refer a patient to one of our specialty clinics for inpatient evaluation.
For facility transfers and outpatient clinic evaluations, call 601-981-2611 or 800-223-6672, ask for and admissions representative and provide the following information:
To make and outpatient referral
You may refer a patient to one of Methodist Rehabilitation Center’s outpatient divisions by calling:
Outpatient therapy: 601-936-8888
Outpatient clinic: 601-981-2611
Once you have referred your patient and the admission process is complete, we want to keep you abreast of your patient’s progress. To this end, our case managers provide the following support:
- Initial evaluation report by the entire medical, nursing and allied health professional team.
- Detailed inpatient staffing conference reports.
- Discharge summaries by the entire team, with outcomes, assessments of goals and recommendations for future care.