Proven SCI Expertise
Since 1975, Methodist Rehabilitation Center has helped thousands of spinal cord injury patients reach the highest possible level of independence.
We see more spinal cord injury patients than any inpatient rehab facility in Mississippi, including 180 in 2021. As a result, we provide the proven expertise that no other Mississippi hospital can claim.
Through our affiliation with the University of Mississippi Medical Center (UMMC), we’re part of a Neuro Institute that’s committed to clinical, academic and research excellence. This relationship gives our patients access to UMMC specialists, who regularly consult with our staff.
As the state’s premier provider of a comprehensive spinal cord injury rehabilitation program, we treat patients—from teenager to adult—who have sustained injuries through trauma or illness
Services are available through inpatient hospital stays, and our physicians also provide follow-up treatment for rehabilitation-related needs through our outpatient clinic located on the hospital’s second floor and through Methodist Physical Medicine in Flowood. Therapy also is available at Methodist Outpatient Therapy in Flowood and Ridgeland.
Dr. Jennifer M. Villacorta, who is President of the Medical Staff and Medical Director at MRC, leads our spinal cord injury team. She also is a member of the UMMC Division of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, an Assistant Professor of Neurosurgery and a member of the Neuro Institute.
Villacorta is board-certified in both Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (PM&R) and Spinal Cord Injury Medicine. She also was a physical therapist before beginning medical school.
The spinal cord injury's team of caregivers also includes nurse practitioners, certified rehabilitation nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists, speech therapists, respiratory therapists, therapeutic recreation specialists, dieticians, pharmacists, case managers, social workers, neuropsychologists, biomedical engineers, orthotists and assistive technology and robotic equipment specialists.
We also encourage referring physicians to remain involved in the patient’s care, and we consult other medical specialists as needed. Family members also are included in therapy and educational sessions.
A typical treatment schedule includes occupational, physical, speech, respiratory and recreational therapy. When not in therapy, patients are under the care of our nursing team, many of whom are Certified Rehabilitation Registered Nurses. They help promote independence by reinforcing skills learned in therapy and by providing education on a variety of rehab topics.
Family members are always welcome to be part of the process and are encouraged to take advantage of group support and educational opportunities.
Issues typically addressed during the recovery process include:
- Cognitive, Emotional and Behavioral Needs
- Activities of Daily Living
- Respiratory Function
- Spasticity Management
- Skin Health
- Assistive Technology Needs
- Adjustment Issues
- Community Reintegration
What Sets Us Apart?
- We group patients by injury type, which gives our staff focused expertise and allows patients and their families to benefit from peer support.
- We equip our therapy gym and patient rooms with the latest equipment and technology designed to enhance recovery.
- We employ the largest number of Neuro Clinical Specialists and Certified Rehabilitation Registered Nurses in Mississippi.
- We give patients the opportunity to benefit from clinical trials and other research through our Center for Neuroscience and Neurological Recovery. The CNNR is led by a physician-scientist who works with a team of investigators, including fellow physicians and experts in engineering, therapy, neuropsychology and orthotics and prosthetics.
- We have a nationally recognized spasticity management program to help patients overcome this frequent side effect of brain and spinal cord injury.
- We offer evaluations and guidance for the selection of wheelchairs, environmental control units, adaptive computer equipment and other assistive technology via the expertise of specially certified therapists.
- We evaluate the abilities of patients with brain injuries, spinal cord injuries and stroke in our Motion Analysis Laboratory, one of only a few such labs in the nation.
- We provide treadmill gait training and robot-assisted walking therapy, which can help patients make significant gains in their walking ability.
- We offer innovative rehab technologies, including electrical stimulation devices that address foot drop, hand and leg weakness and swallowing disorders.
- We provide lifelong care through an extensive network of outpatient clinics and community services, including Methodist Physical Medicine, Methodist Outpatient Therapy and Methodist Orthotics & Prosthetics.
- Our Quest community reintegration program is Mississippi's most comprehensive outpatient program for people with brain, spinal and other neurological injuries who wish to make a successful return to work, school or community life.
- As a not-for-profit hospital, we are free to re-invest income in our mission to provide the highest quality care, education and research to our patients. It’s a calling our volunteer board of trustees fully understands. They are dedicated to serving the needs of MRC patients at a level of expertise that they would want for their own loved ones.
Methodist Rehabilitation Center
1350 East Woodrow Wilson Drive
Jackson, MS 39216
Admissions and Referrals - 601-364-3477
Spinal Cord Injury Nurse Manager - 601-364-3498